Monday, April 28, 2008

What to share in story?

Hi Candace,I am wondering – do you want the STORY to accompany our cube print, or a PHRASE, (ie) the headline or the whole newspaper story? Linda

Hi Linda,
Good question – I was waiting for someone to ask it.

Okay, this is going to be a roundabout answer :>)
I’ve been thinking a lot about what the first participant would do. Would they include the entire story with the cube or just a phrase…. I was unclear in my instructions in order to see what would happen… Part of this is a social experiment….
The picking of the story.... does one chose to share just a phrase with the other artists? Just the title? (Which can be misleading) or include the entire newspaper article? I'm thinking about the way information is consumed in our society. The bits and pieces of a story are never complete. And we as consumers take the bits, create our own meanings. Eventually we fuse parts of the story with our own experiences, sometimes sharing that with another person who will interpret the story differently, too.

So, it’s up to you, what do you want to share? A phrase, a headline, or the whole newspaper story.
(Note: the headline will be the title of the print.)


Have you chosen a story? If you have the title and the source, I can look it up online and create a PDF file so we have it for bibliography purposes.

1 comment:

Candace Garlock said...

This is a great question. I just gave my group 3 words. Cloning of cattle. I can't wait to see where they will go with it.

MaLynda Poulsen-Jones, Walla Walla, WA